Sunday, October 05, 2008

Maori Unpacked, Appendix Two, A Note on teaching i and ki

Appendix Two

A Note on teaching i and ki

I have found that teaching i and ki in the following order seems to work:

1 following verbs of movement i means from and ki means to
Ka haere au ki te whare, I go to the house
Ka haere au i te whare, I go from the house

2 following statives i means by
Ka riro te keemu i a maatou, the game was won by us

3 i meaning with
Ka koa au i te whare
I'm pleased with the house

4 following universals both i and ki function as connectives as in
ka whakarongo au i a koe
or
Ka whakarongo au ki a koe
I listen to you

5 ki is an instrumental
Ka topa au i te raakau ki te toki, I chopped the tree with the axe

6 i and ki are locatives meaning in or at a certain location
Ka noho au i Rotorua, I live in Rotorua
Ka noho au ki Rotorua, I live in Rotorua

7 ki te means if
Ki te haere au ki Taamaki Makau Rau, If I go to Auckland

8 i te means because
I te hekenga o te ua... because of the falling of the rain.

No comments: