Monday, November 20, 2006

puff 181 Ten songs for a wake

Ten songs for a wake...You're Free gets 1000 hits on YouTube...

'I shall believe'-is this a guitar for church?



My love is your love came to be recorded because I could not get the way Whitney Houston sings this song out of my mind. That nasal sound which keeps the note and focusses it...


'Johnny Rockaway' was written for the generation passing away who might relate to Marlon Brando and Brigitte Bardot. An earlier version was all haunting lead guitar. The version on this Post was done at a time when I was playing around with pitch. I'm not sure what key its in now!

'Colin McCahon' was originally done for a play I'd written on Alan Maddox. The story is that Maddox and his mates met up on the night Colin died at the Stairways Gallery in Napier. Johanna ran the Stairways Gallery at that stage. Recently I added another verse which reminded me of Hank Snow when I played it back. After that someone told me in an altogether different setting that Colin played Hank when he felt down...the version on this Post is dedicated to Dean Murray whose songs evoked a feeling for he place where we live in me.

The next song is 'Ana'. This is different to an earlier version- the Hip Hop version produced by Rebirth. This more laid back, bar chord style version is dedicated to Ana Marie Reston a model who died with complications from anorexia. Like 'You're Free', the song stood on its own when composed but for a long time it was dedicated to Ana Hoffman of Napier.


'You're Free' has been composed in 2006. I was working on it when news of Sally Rodwell's death reached me and I dedicated a version of the song to Sally.

The fifth song is 'You're Free' again but dedicated this time to Luisel Ramos and Ana Carolina Reston. Same song, different video.In January 2007 this song went over 1000 hits on YouTube. Not sure what this means...

'In the Kingdom of the Keys',the 'Johnny Rockaway'version here and the 'You're Free' songs have alll been done in 2006. 'Johnny Rockaway' and 'In the Kingdom of the keys' are experiments with pitch. 'Johnny Rockaway is low vocal' and the others, especially 'Kingdom' are high vocals. Kingdom is more of an afterlife song than a song for a Wake but someone sugggested it could be included in this collection.

And there has also been a suggestion that the 'folk' version of 'Veronica Bay' be included. I suppose so...

And now there has been a suggestion that 'o johnny I hardly knew you' should be included to make ten songs. Its Irish I think. Maybe the Pogues do it. 'Yee' became 'you' when it went to America? Did the Carter family do it? Here its visceral with lots of sounds from some night jungle...

Click Here!

Click Here!

'


Click Here!



Click Here!



Click Here!







No comments: